Jan 12, 2011

The Perfect Winter Recipe

I'm diverting from my usual posting style about travel and other randomness.
Today I'd like to share a recipe that we have been enjoying time and again this winter. 
Everyone seems to really enjoy it. And a few have asked for the recipe.
With a cold snap back home, I thought you might like to warm up with this favorite of mine.
It's Louisiana with a splash of England, since I can't get all of my usual ingredients here.

Sausage and Chicken Creole
Ingredients:
Rice
1 lb smoked sausage or your favorite local variety, cut into small round pieces
1 green and 1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup of celery, thinly chopped
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded. Or carved from cooked bird.
1 package of fresh button mushrooms or your favorite variety
Handful of fresh parsley leaves chopped
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 cup of chicken broth
2 bay leaves
black pepper, white pepper, herbs de provence
dash of salt(only if needed), dash of Zatarans or Tony's 
For seasoning I always do it to taste but generally use about 1/2 teaspoon of each

Prep
1. Chop and prepare all ingredients.
If you need to cook your chicken breast, prepare this before you begin.
1. Prepare rice in your rice cooker or on the stove
2. While the rice is cooking heat bell pepper, onion, and celery in a lightly greased (olive oil) pot or dutch oven about 5-7 minutes or until veg is tender.
3. Add sausage and cook for another minute or two
4. Add chicken and mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes
5. Add seasoning, parsley, and bay leaves and stir together all ingredients
6. Add tomatoes and broth
 7. Bring to a good boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes

Serve over rice. Serves 4

This meal makes me want to cuddle up with a good book
or come in from the snow and take a warm bath.
These are two of my all time favorite interior images saved in my "inspiration" folder.
Rustic Chic gets me every time.
Elle Decor Magazine
House Beautiful
Navy Paint. Herringbone wood floors. Exposed copper pipes. Swoon



No comments: